DLUHC announces brownfield fund allocation

Oct. 13, 2021
<p><span>The government has announced a £58 million allocation from its £75 million Brownfield Land Release Fund, with funding to build “thousands of new homes” going to 53 councils.</span><span></span></p> <p><span>The Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities (DLUHC) said the allocation would yield an extra 5,600 homes, with schemes being built on derelict land, in some cases involving “the demolition of unsightly derelict buildings and disused car parks and garages”.</span><span></span></p> <p><span>This funding could also create up to 17,000 jobs within the housing and construction sector and across the wider economy, DLUHC said.</span><span></span></p> <p><span>Ministers added that boosting housing supply was “central” to the government’s levelling up agenda. <a href="https://www.house-builder.co.uk/news/mhclg-be-renamed/"><span>Last month</span></a>, the former Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG) became DLUHC to reflect the government’s pledge to </span><span>deliver on its “central mission to level up every part of the UK”. </span></p> <p><span>Levelling up secretary Michael Gove said: “</span><span>We are levelling up and backing home ownership in every corner of the country, delivering new high-quality, affordable homes and creating thriving places where people want to live, work and visit.</span><span></span></p> <p><span>“Making the most of previously developed land is a government priority and it will help protect our cherished countryside and green spaces.”</span><span></span></p> <p><span>The …

Continue reading

To continue reading this article please login or register.

Login

Forgot your password?

Register for free

Quick and free registration

Register