Housebuilders pledge to build more homes

Oct. 1, 2013
Major housebuilders have met with housing minister Mark Prisk to stress that government initiatives on mortgage support – such as Help to Buy – are working and will lead directly to more homes being built.<br><br>The meeting took place last month as it was revealed that 12,500 reservations have been made through Help to Buy up to the end of August and the scheme is on target to deliver the 74,000 homes intended over the next years.<br><br>Home Builders Federation (HBF) executive chairman Stewart Baseley, who was at the meeting, said that Help to Buy has been an “unqualified success”.<br><br>Barratt ceo Mark Clare said: “Customer interest in Help to Buy has been very strong. We are now preparing for further growth and have committed £1 billion to land investment for new homes.”<br><br>Jeff Fairburn, Persimmon ceo, added that his firm had increased build activity while Taylor Wimpey boss Pete Redfern said the increase in demand “enables us to build more homes on the sites we have already got open and gives us more confidence about investing in future sales.”<br><br>Housing minister Mark Prisk welcomed these views: “I’m delighted that developers have pledged to use this momentum to increase output and get Britain building again.”<br><br>Baseley …

Continue reading

To continue reading this article please login or register.

Login

Forgot your password?

Register for free

Quick and free registration

Register