Government measures welcomed

Oct. 1, 2012
Housebuilders and experts have given a cautious welcome to the government's housing and planning package announced last month. The Home Builders Federation (HBF) said that the government had made some positive moves, but recovery rested on mortgage levels increasing. Executive chairman Stewart Baseley commented:<br> <br> "Government now clearly understands the constraints on delivery. More money to help buyers is extremely welcome and together FirstBuy and NewBuy will allow thousands to get on the property ladder. Mortgage availability remains the biggest constraint on development and more needs to be done."<br> <br> Pete Redfern, ceo of Taylor Wimpey, said: "The government has recognised the very positive impact residential development has on the economy and on people's lives and the measures announced today look like a big step in the right direction."<br> <br> The prime minister David Cameron and deputy Nick Clegg announced the measures, aimed at further boosting the sector and economy. They include:<br> <br> A £280 million extension of the successful FirstBuy scheme to March 2014 Removing affordable housing requirements if the developer can prove that the council's requirements render the scheme unviable Large commercial and residential projects to be fast tracked. Developers can ask the Planning Inspectorate to make a …

Continue reading

To continue reading this article please login or register.

Login

Forgot your password?

Register for free

Quick and free registration

Register