Government to consult on housing ombudsman

Nov. 30, 2017

The government is to consult in the new year on the creation of a new Housing Ombudsman.

Communities secretary Sajid Javid told the NHBC annual lunch yesterday that the current system of redress for disgruntled buyers of new properties is not working properly.

“There are a confusing number of schemes in place and gaps in protection, particularly where the buyer has a problem with their home in the first two years,” he said. The consultation will look at the establishment of a Housing Ombudsman which will be a “single, transparent and accountable body with a remit that covers the whole of the housing sector – including both private and social landlords and the providers of new build homes.

“Research in other sectors has shown that redress works more efficiently for consumers when there’s a single ombudsman in place,” said Javid.

The creation of an ombudsman was one of the recommendations of the All Party Parliamentary Group for Excellence in the Built Environment in its report last year More homes, Fewer Complaints.

HBF executive chairman Stewart Baseley said: “HBF have been working in this area and recently commissioned an independent report from WPI Economics to consider the issues for us. …

Continue reading

To continue reading this article please login or register.

Login

Forgot your password?

Register for free

Quick and free registration

Register